Smith Elliott Kearns & Company, LLC was founded in 1963 and grew rapidly in the Shenandoah and Cumberland Valleys. With a staff of 150, we are a regional certified public accounting with five offices in Maryland and Pennsylvania. The management and direction of Smith Elliott Kearns & Company, LLC rests with the 21 Members who provide local leadership and service in our practice area.
Firm Philosophy: Mission Statement
Smith Elliott Kearns & Company, LLC is committed to serving our clients by providing professional accounting and consulting services that are based on a clear understanding of our clients and their business.
We will work to be proactive in response to our clients’ needs and complete each engagement in a timely manner for a reasonable fee.
Members of our firm will strive to be active in our communities and will work to continue to foster growth and vitality by managing a quality-driven, successful organization.
To be the best independently owned, operated, and managed CPA firm with the highest ethical standards in the business of public accounting.
- Highest Ethical Standards
- Mutual Respect
- Pride in Firm and Profession
- Responsive to Client Needs
- Close Personal Relationships
- Quality of Life
John R. Schnitzer is the firm’s Managing Member, and is responsible for providing leadership and direction to the members and staff in five practice offices located in western Maryland and south central Pennsylvania.
PKF North America
We are proud to be affiliated with PKF International, Ltd., one of the largest international associations of independent accounting and consulting firms in the world. With approximately 146 member firms located in over 116 countries, we are able to have international links with other accounting firms, while maintaining the independence and personal client relationship of a local firm. This affiliation provides our firm with extensive technical support, cost-effective continuing professional education, innovative practice development programs, and networking among partners pursuing similar goals geared toward providing superior client service.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Registered with Public Company Accounting Oversight Board
- Center for Audit Quality
- Employee Benefit Plan Audit Quality Center
- Governmental Audit Quality Center (AICPA)
STATE CPA ASSOCIATIONS
- Maryland Association Certified Public Accountants
- Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- West Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Institute of Certified Management Accountants
- National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts
- Society for Human Resource Management
BANKING INDUSTRY ORGANIZATIONS
- Maryland Bankers Association
- Pennsylvania Association of Community Bankers
- Virginia Association of Community Banks
- West Virginia Bankers Association
- Associated Builders and Contractors
- Construction Financial Management Association
- Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Pennsylvania Association of Not-for-Profit Homes for the Aging
- Pennsylvania Association of Nonprofit Organizations
- South Central PA Estate Planning Council
- Tri-State Estate Planning Council